[HELICONIUS] Uitlandse kapellen: exotic bugs in strange places

James Mallet jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 5 16:08:57 BST 2015

On 05/06/2015 08:27, John Turner <J.R.G.Turner at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

When we were breeding Heliconius melpomene continuously in the
greenhouses here in Leeds
(1980s roughly), there was reportedly a fairly steady stream of the
hybrid phenotypes,
as well as the pure Belem race, being reported or presented to the Leeds
City Museum.
(We never did afford to put netting on all the greenhouse ventilators!)

Not only that, but a University acquaintance at that period once showed
me a photograph
of an undoubted Dryas iulia that she had photographed in her garden in
suburban Leeds.
A long way from our greenhouse in the centre and (more decisively) we
were not breeding
them there and never did!

Came off a banana boat at Hull docks?

Cheers everyone

John R.G. Turner
Emeritus Professor
Visiting Research Fellow (School of Biology)
Visiting Research Fellow (School of Languages, Cultures & Societies—French)
University of Leeds

--
James Mallet
Organismic & Evolutionary Biology