[HELICONIUS] Eueides isabella (probably) in Spokane, Washington

James Mallet jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 5 00:22:09 BST 2015

On 04/06/2015 15:47, Marisa Burgess wrote:
 > Dear Mr. Mallet,
 >
 >     My name is Marisha Burgess and I recently saw a butterfly I felt
was very out of place. During a tour of Riverside Park in Spokane, WA I
would swear I saw a Heliconius spc., likely isabella. I worked at a
butterfly house as Chief Entomologist, and although beetles are my
speciality, I am very  experienced  with  Heliconius and I am  certain I
saw  a longwing butterfly  that looked  very similar  to a  H. isabella
longwing.
 >    There are no butterfly houses near by, and I saw no food source,
but I would put money  on  my  ID.  Any idea of what species would look
similar and be in Spokane, WA. ??

Subject: Re: Heliconius in Washington?
From: James Mallet <jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu>
Date: 04/06/2015 16:22
To: Marisa Burgess <entomgirl13 at yahoo.com>

I'd say unlikely to be a migrant, but could be an escape. As you know, I
am sure, you can order heliconiine pupae online, so it's not just
butterfly houses, but some private individuals as well. Next time, you
must get the specimen! Would be a range extension! If it wasn't a
Mexican-style isabella, and was say, Ecuadorean, it would clinch it
being an escape!

The USDA mandates some insect houses to make sure that the tropical
butterflies do not breed, which means that they're enforcing outsourcing
of the rearing, which seems rather unsustainable use of natural
resource! Most unfortunate, as very few of them would survive the
summer, let alone the winter. They do I think occur year round a few
hundred km S of the Mexican border in N. Mexico.  The most northerly
strays we've recorded are from Arizona, New Mexico and Kansas.  See this
page:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/taxome/heliconiina_maps/Eueides/isabella%20subspecies%201.jpg
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/taxome/heliconiina_maps/Heliconius_chklst.html

Best wishes, Jim