[HELICONIUS] Four new papers on Heliconius

James Mallet jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Tue May 21 19:10:25 BST 2013

...including the description by Mérot et al. of the new timareta from
Peru, /thelxinoe/!

Supple MA, Hines HM, Dasmahapatra KK, Nielsen DM, Lavoie C, Ray DA,
Salazar C, McMillan WO, Counterman BA. 2013. Genomic architecture of
adaptive color pattern divergence and convergence in  Heliconius
butterflies. Genome Research (online pre-publication)

Identifying the genetic changes responsible for adaptive variation in
natural populations is keyto understanding how biodiversity is
generated. The mosaic of mimetic wing patterns inHeliconius butterflies
makes them an excellent system for exploring the origins of adaptive
variation using next-generation sequencing techniques. In this study, we
use RNA-Seq toannotate the genomic interval modulating red color pattern
variation and whole genomeresequencing of multiple color morphs to
identify a narrow region responsible for adaptivedivergence and
convergence in Heliconius wing patterns. Using population and
phylogeneticanalyses across four hybrid zones between color morphs of H.
erato and two hybrid zones ofthe co-mimic H. melpomene, we identify a
shared 65 kb island of divergence in the intergenicregion near optix,
the gene which was previously shown to be responsible for the complex
redpattern variation in Heliconius. Our dense SNP analysis reveals
several sites in this region perfectly associated with red color pattern
phenotype in both species. This region likely contains multiple
cis-regulatory elements that control discrete expression domains of
optix.The parallel signatures of genetic differentiation in H. erato and
H. melpomene support ashared regulatory architecture between the two
distantly related co-mimics; however,phylogenetic analyses and the
absence of shared candidate SNPs suggest mimetic patterns ineach species
evolved independently. Using a combination of next-generation
sequencingtechniques, we have refined our understanding of the genetic
architecture of wing patternvariation in Heliconius and gained important
insights into the evolution of novel adaptivephenotypes in natural
populations.

Mérot C, Mavárez J, Evin A, Dasmahapatra KK, Mallet J, Lamas G, Joron M.
2013. Genetic differentiation without mimicry shift in a pair of
hybridizing Heliconius species (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Biological
Journal of the Linnean Society (online early).

Abstract: Mimetic butterflies in the genus Heliconius have undergone
rapid adaptive radiation for warning patterns, and are excellent models
to study the mechanisms underlying diversification. In Heliconius,
mimicry rings typically involve distantly-related species, while closely
related species often join different mimicry rings. Genetic and
behavioural studies have shown how a reduction of gene flow in
Heliconius is often mediated, in part, by natural and sexual selection
on wing colour pattern. However, recent studies have uncovered new cases
in which pairs of closely-related species are near-perfect mimics of
each other. Here, we provide morphometrical and genetic evidence for the
coexistence of two very closely related, hybridizing co-mimics on the
eastern Andean foothills, H. melpomene amaryllis and H. timareta ssp.
nov., which is described here as *H. t. thelxinoe*. A joint analysis of
multilocus genotyping and geometric morphometrics of wing shape shows a
high level of differentiation between the two species with only limited
gene flow and mixing. Some degree of mixing can be detected, although
putative hybrids were rare (one out of 175 specimens was a clear
hybrid). In contrast, we found phenotypic differentiation between
populations of H. timareta thelxinoe, possibly indicative of strong
selection for local mimicry in different communities. In this pair of
species where promiscuous exchange of wing patterning alleles has been
demonstrated, the absence of breakdown of genetic isolation when wing
pattern are similar implies that factors other than wing patterns keep
the two taxa separate, such as chemical or behavioural signals, or
ecological adaptation along a strong altitudinal gradient.

Cardoso MZ, Gilbert LE. 2013. Pollen feeding, resource allocation and
the evolution of chemical defence in passion vine butterflies. Journal
of Evolutionary Biology (online early).

Abstract: Evolution of pollen feeding in Heliconius has allowed
exploitation of rich amino acid sources and dramatically reorganized
life-history traits. In Heliconius, eggs are produced mainly from
adult-acquired resources, leaving somatic development and maintenance to
larva effort. This innovation may also have spurred evolution of
chemical defence via amino acid-derived cyanogenic glycosides. In
contrast, nonpollen-feeding heliconiines must rely almost exclusively on
larval-acquired resources for both reproduction and defence. We tested
whether adult amino acid intake has an immediate influence on
cyanogenesis in Heliconius. Because Heliconius are more distasteful to
bird predators than close relatives that do not utilize pollen, we also
compared cyanogenesis due to larval input across Heliconius species and
nonpollen-feeding relatives. Except for one species, we found that
varying the amino acid diet of an adult Heliconius has negligible effect
on its cyanide concentration. Adults denied amino acids showed no
decrease in cyanide and no adults showed cyanide increase when fed amino
acids. Yet, pollen-feeding butterflies were capable of producing more
defence than nonpollen-feeding relatives and differences were detectable
in freshly emerged adults, before input of adult resources. Our data
points to a larger role of larval input in adult chemical defence. This
coupled with the compartmentalization of adult nutrition to reproduction
and longevity suggests that one evolutionary consequence of pollen
feeding, shifting the burden of reproduction to adults, is to allow the
evolution of greater allocation of host plant amino acids to defensive
compounds by larvae

Hill RI, Gilbert LE, Kronforst MR. 2013. Cryptic genetic and wing
pattern diversity in a mimetic Heliconius butterfly. Molecular Ecology
(online early).

Abstract: Despite rampant colour pattern diversity in South America,
Heliconius erato exhibits a "postman" wing pattern throughout most of
Central America. We examined genetic variation across the range of H.
erato, including dense sampling in Central America, and discovered a
deep genetic break, centred on the mountain range that runs through
Costa Rica. This break is characterized by a novel mitochondrial
lineage, which is nearly fixed in northern Central America, that
branches basal to all previously described mitochondrial diversity in
the species. Strong genetic differentiation also appears in Z-linked and
autosomal markers, and it is further associated with a distinct, but
subtle, shift in wing pattern phenotype. Comparison of clines in wing
phenotype, mtDNA and nuclear markers indicate they are all centred on
the mountains dividing Costa Rica, but that cline width differs among
data sets. Phylogeographical analyses, accounting for this new
diversity, rewrite our understanding of mimicry evolution in this
system. For instance, these results suggest that H. erato originated
west of the Andes, perhaps in Central America, and as many as 1 million
years before its co-mimic, H. melpomene. Overall our data indicate that
neutral genetic markers and colour pattern loci are congruent and
converge on the same hypothesis. H. erato originated in northwest South
America or Central America with a "postman" phenotype and then radiated
into the wealth of colour patterns present today

--
James Mallet
OEB & GEE Depts