[HELICONIUS] Yay! Heliconius erato genomics too.

James Mallet jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu May 16 06:07:13 BST 2013

Genomic architecture of adaptive color pattern divergence and
convergence in /Heliconius/ butterflies
Megan A Supple1, Heather M Hines2, Kanchon K Dasmahapatra3, James J
Lewis4, Dahlia M Nielsen5, Christine Lavoie6, David A Ray6, Camilo
Salazar7, W. Owen McMillan8 and Brian A Counterman6,9

Identifying the genetic changes driving adaptive variation in natural
populations is key to understanding the origins of biodiversity. The
mosaic of mimetic wing patterns in/Heliconius/butterflies makes an
excellent system for exploring adaptive variation using next-generation
sequencing. In this study, we use a combination of techniques to
annotate the genomic interval modulating red color pattern variation,
identify a narrow region responsible for adaptive divergence and
convergence in/Heliconius/wing color patterns, and explore the
evolutionary history of these adaptive alleles. We use whole genome
resequencing from four hybrid zones between divergent color pattern
races of/Heliconius erato/and two hybrid zones of the
co-mimic/Heliconius melpomene/to examine genetic variation across 2.2 Mb
of a partial reference sequence. In the intergenic region near/optix/,
the gene previously shown to be responsible for the complex red pattern
variation in/Heliconius/, population genetic analyses identify a shared
65 kb region of divergence that includes several sites perfectly
associated with phenotype within each species. This region likely
contains multiple/cis/-regulatory elements that control discrete
expression domains of/optix/. The parallel signatures of genetic
differentiation in/H. erato/and/H. melpomene/support a shared genetic
architecture between the two distantly related co-mimics; however,
phylogenetic analysis suggests mimetic patterns in each species evolved
independently. Using a combination of next-generation sequencing
analyses, we have refined our understanding of the genetic architecture
of wing pattern variation in/Heliconius/and gained important insights
into the evolution of novel adaptive phenotypes in natural populations.

http://genome.cshlp.org/content/early/2013/05/14/gr.150615.112.short

--
James Mallet
OEB & GEE Depts