[HELICONIUS] dissecting and sexing pupae?

Jim Mallet jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Tue May 14 15:42:50 BST 2013

There was a previous correspondence about sexing pupae. See
http://www.mailinglists.ucl.ac.uk/pipermail/heliconius/2010-April/000077.html

The testes in Heliconius if I remember rightly are fused into a single
blob and bright red, and they're usually visible in the abdomen of
dissected lepidopterous larvae as well as pupae (though I've never
checked in Heliconius).

However, you should be able to sex the pupae externally with 100%
accuracy with a handlens! It just takes some practice with your
particular species. Much better if you don't want to mangle the specimen!

See:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/taxome/jim/Mim2/heliconius_pupa_sex_difference.html

jim

--