[HELICONIUS] www.heliconius.org

Chris Jiggins c.jiggins at zoo.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 14 13:39:26 BST 2013

Hi everyone

I have recently given the www.heliconius.org website a bit of a makeover, and a few of us are keen to develop this further as a community resource to complement other sites such as www.butterflygenome.org. There is now a fairly comprehensive bibliography, which has an associated Zotero database, that will hopefully be useful (http://www.heliconius.org/publications/ unfortunately not with associated pdfs yet, but we will work on that). We have a bunch of ideas for things that we would like to develop further, but the first thing I would like to do is to develop a sense of the Heliconius research community.

The site is now set up for people to make their own homepages, and it would be great if we have a bit of a push to set up pages for everyone working on heliconius - here is what to do:

1) There is a login form at the bottom of the site, where you can either retrieve a password or set up a new account. If you have an account you should login and update your info - and it will appear directly on your homepage. The list of everyone with an account so far is at http://www.heliconius.org/researchers/

2) If you dont already have an account, then please subscribe and I will add your name to the researchers list. Go to your user page and fill in some info about yourself. Please make sure you fill in the fields 'First Name' 'Last Name' and 'Short Bio' which will provide the text for the Researchers list. The large box called General Information will provide your homepage on the site. The avatar box at the bottom is for uploading a photo.

3) If you want to add a list of your own publications then add this text at the bottom of your page (obviously change the author name):

<strong> Recent publications</strong>
[zotpress author="Jiggins" style="apa" sortby="date" order=desc limit="5"]

Other ideas for the future:
Species information, including photos and range maps
Pages for influential past researchers and their contributions (Bates, Sheppard, Emsley etc etc?)
Annotated bibliography, with comments on recent papers and their broader context.
Any suggestions, comments or contributions welcome!

Cheers
Chris

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Chris Jiggins
Reader in Evolution and Biological Diversity
Department of Zoology
University of Cambridge
Tel: (+44)(0)1223 769021
Mob: (+44)(0) 7549-524-481
http://www.heliconius.org/
http://heliconius.zoo.cam.ac.uk/

Fellow of St John's College,
Director of Studies in Biological Sciences
Cambridge, UK. CB2 1TP