[HELICONIUS] Recent papers of interest

James Mallet jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 13 05:51:02 BST 2012

Martin A, Papa R, Nadeau NJ, Hill RI, Counterman BA, Halder G, Jiggins
CD, Kronforst MR, Long AD, McMillan WO, Reed RD. 2012. Diversification
of complex butterfly wing patterns by repeated regulatory evolution of a
Wnt ligand. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109:
12632-12637.
(request from individual labs)
Abstract: Although animals display a rich variety of shapes and
patterns, the genetic changes that explain how complex forms arise are
still unclear. Here we take advantage of the extensive diversity of
Heliconius butterflies to identify a gene that causes adaptive variation
of black wing patterns within and between species. Linkage mapping in
two species groups, gene-expression analysis in seven species, and
pharmacological treatments all indicate that cis-regulatory evolution of
the WntA ligand underpins discrete changes in color pattern features
across the Heliconius genus. These results illustrate how the direct
modulation of morphogen sources can generate a wide array of unique
morphologies, thus providing a link between natural genetic variation,
pattern formation, and adaptation.

Hines HM, Papa R, Ruiz M, Papanicolau A, Wang C, Nijhout HF, McMillan
WO, Reed RD. 2012. Transcriptome analysis reveals novel patterning and
pigmentation genes underlying Heliconius butterfly wing pattern
variation. BMC Genomics 13: 288.
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/13/288/abstract
Background
Heliconius butterfly wing pattern diversity offers a unique opportunity
to investigate how natural genetic variation can drive the evolution of
complex adaptive phenotypes. Positional cloning and candidate gene
studies have identified a handful of regulatory and pigmentation genes
implicated in Heliconius wing pattern variation, but little is known
about the greater developmental networks within which these genes
interact to pattern a wing. Here we took a large-scale transcriptomic
approach to identify the network of genes involved in Heliconius wing
pattern development and variation. This included applying over 140
transcriptome microarrays to assay gene expression in dissected wing
pattern elements across a range of developmental stages and wing pattern
morphs of Heliconius erato.
Results
We identified a number of putative early prepattern genes with
color-pattern related expression domains. We also identified 51 genes
differentially expressed in association with natural color pattern
variation. Of these, the previously identified color pattern "switch
gene" optix was recovered as the first transcript to show color-specific
differential expression. Most differentially expressed genes were
transcribed late in pupal development and have roles in cuticle
formation or pigment synthesis. These include previously undescribed
transporter genes associated with ommochrome pigmentation. Furthermore,
we observed upregulation of melanin-repressing genes such as ebony and
Dat1 in non-melanic patterns.
Conclusions
This study identifies many new genes implicated in butterfly wing
pattern development and provides a glimpse into the number and types of
genes affected by variation in genes that drive color pattern evolution.

--
James Mallet
OEB & GEE Depts