[HELICONIUS] Butterfly behaviour at dawn

Mathieu Joron joron at mnhn.fr
Fri Aug 10 10:12:29 BST 2012

Hi again,

Many thanks to all those who kindly answered my question about
interesting dawn behaviours in butterflies. I thought I'd forward a
summary of the answers (some were suggested by several people). Most
behaviours may be a bit of a gamble to find and film, I suppose, but
I'll forward those suggestions anyway. Some behaviours could be filmed
in captivity, perhaps. Don't hesitate to send more suggestions in case
anything else comes to mind.

Thanks,

-The Caligo can be territorial early in the morning and have fantastic
twilight flight along forest edges. Males of some species have been
documented to lek; fantastic to see a "fight" between patrolling and
perching males.

-Pollen feeding in Heliconius. E.g. in Heliconius ethilla, at dawn,
"100% female" (why?). In flat rainforest, first pollen visits are at the
crack of dawn in the canopy.

-Departure from roost? "Very filmable", especially in some Heliconius.

-Transition from resting to taking flight in overwintering monarch
butterflies in Mexico. When light breaks through and sunlight hits
clustering monarchs, they will take to the sky in the thousands.

-Absolutely amazing twilight lek behaviour in Hepialus mohts (UK).

-Pupation and eclosion of adult butterflies happens in the early
morning. Always great to film.

-Ecolosion and mating in the Heliconius pupal maters. "Could make some
nice sequences for a TV program".

-Multispecies ithomiine aggregations feeding on PA nectar at the crack
of dawn.

Best wishes,

Mathieu

--