[HELICONIUS] Artificial Diet for Heliconius

Carol Boggs cboggs at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 20 05:56:21 BST 2012

Hi all,

Back in the day, I explored development of an artificial diet for Heliconius, loosely based on diets for Colias and other butterflies. What stopped me was that in practice it took so much dried Passiflora leaf that I might as well have been feeding the larvae on living Passiflora.

Nonetheless, I'd like to talk w/ Chip to see what he's thinking, and could potentially contribute a small amount to the endeavor. Having a controlled larval diet would certainly help resource allocation studies as well.

Also, for those interested, Francie Chew & students have developed a Pieris larval diet that works well.

Carol