[HELICONIUS] Conference news and studies of H charithonia mating

James Mallet j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jul 20 17:18:54 BST 2010

Congratulations all the speakers and exhibitors
at the recent Edmonton, Canada, Biology of
Butterflies meeting. For more details see Chris Jiggins' blog:
<http://www.heliconius.org/2010/butterflies-on-the-prairies/>http://www.heliconius.org/2010/butterflies-on-the-prairies/

I think we'd all agree that the Heliconius talks
at Edmonton about genomics and colour pattern
genetics were exciting and interesting. Jiggins
also discusses new findings on butterfly scent,
including Catalina Estrada's work on anti-aphrodisiacs in Heliconius.

However, there's other interesting ecology and
behavioural work going on that was not so well
represented.  I especially liked these three
papers (detailed below) just out on Heliconius
charithonia pupal mating and mating behaviour.  I
found Catalina Estrada's first paper especially
interesting, as it showed how males search for
larvae on the host plant, and identify them by
odour, and also by means of odour of damaged host plant.

The authors are fully aware of the implications
that males (as well as females) searching for
host plants; this creates a pleiotropy of a host
shift that can aid speciation via assortative
mating as a "magic trait," and they discuss it extensively.

Larry Gilbert and I have both seen male
Heliconius melpomene patrolling only near their
host plants in Corcovado National Park, Costa
Rica (where melpomene hosts and the butterfly
itself are both rather rare), so the pleiotropic
male host-searching behaviour is probably not
limited to the pupal mating clade of
Heliconius.  Such effects in non-pupal maters,
however, await appropriate demonstration and
experiments of the quality performed by Estrada
and Gilbert, as well as Mendoza and Macías, in
these studies on Heliconius charithonia.

Jim Mallet

Estrada, C., and L. E. Gilbert. 2010. Host plants
and immatures as mate-searching cues in
Heliconius butterflies. Animal Behaviour 80:231-239.
email: catalinaestra72 at hotmail.com, lgilbert at mail.utexas.edu
The study of interactions between phytophagous
insects and their host plants extends beyond
understanding how insects deal with plant
chemical defences. Sexual behaviour of these
herbivores is integrated in several ways with
host plants, as the latter influence timing and
location of reproduction, and can provide clues
for finding mates. Nevertheless, while numerous
studies link butterfly evolution to host plant
adaptations, the influence of plants on butterfly
sexual behaviour has been little studied. We
conducted experiments to determine the role of
host plant cues in mate-searching behaviour of
Heliconius charithonia butterflies. This species
exhibits precopulatory mate guarding behaviour,
wherein males find and perch on pupae, then
copulate with eclosing females ('pupal mating').
We found that males (1) visited plants damaged by
feeding larvae more often than they visited
undamaged plants and (2) displayed searching
behaviour around the plant and in front of
larvae, suggesting that odours signal the
location of potential partners (pupae). Although
males were attracted to common plant odours
released after tissue damage, plants damaged by
heterospecific butterfly larvae were less
attractive, indicating that species recognition
can occur at early life stages. Overall, our
results suggest that host plants influence
mate-searching behaviour of Heliconius. This
might also be true for other species of
butterflies with more conventional mating
strategies, potentially contributing to the
diversification of this group of phytophagous insects.

Mendoza-Cuenca, L., and R. Macías-Ordóñez. 2010.
Female asynchrony may drive disruptive sexual
selection on male mating phenotypes in a
Heliconius butterfly. Behavioral Ecology 21:144-152.
email: lmendoza at lca.unam.mx
Alternative male phenotypes may be a source of
novel adaptive traits and may evolve under strong
sexual selection. We studied interpopulation
differences in male mating behavior related to
receptive female synchrony in the monandrous
pupal-mating butterfly Heliconius charitonia. In
the population in which female-receptive pupae
were more synchronous, larger males were unable
to monopolize mates; variance in male mating
success was lower; strength of sexual selection
was weak; and all males competed for access to
female pupae using the same strategy (pupal
mating). In the population where no more than one
female was receptive at a time (extreme
asynchrony), only large males competed for pupae,
and among these, only the largest individuals
successfully mated. Thus, variance in mating
success was higher, and sexual selection within
pupal maters was stronger. In this population,
smaller males patrolled large areas as an
alternative mating behavior. When unmated females
were experimentally released, small male size was
associated with higher mating success. We suggest
that alternative patrolling behavior may have
evolved under strong sexual selection as a
consequence of high asynchrony in receptive
female availability in some populations.

Estrada, C., S. Yildizhan, S. Schulz, and L. E.
Gilbert. 2010. Sex-specific chemical cues from
immatures facilitate the evolution of mate
guarding in Heliconius butterflies. Proceedings
of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 277:407-413.
email: catalinaestra72 at hotmail.com, lgilbert at mail.utexas.edu
Competition for mates has substantial effects on
sensory systems and often leads to the evolution
of extraordinary mating behaviours in nature. The
ability of males to find sexually immature
females and associate with them until mating is a
remarkable example. Although several aspects of
such pre-copulatory mate guarding have been
investigated, little is known about the
mechanisms used by males to locate immature
females and assess their maturity. These are not
only key components of the origin and maintenance
of this mating strategy, but are also necessary
for inferring the level to which females
cooperate and thus the incidence of sexual
conflict. We investigated the cues involved in
recognition of immature females in Heliconius
charithonia, a butterfly that exhibits mate
guarding by perching on pupae. We found that
males recognized female pupae using sex-specific
volatile monoterpenes produced by them towards
the end of pupal development. Considering the
presumed biosynthetic pathways of such compounds
and the reproductive biology of Heliconius, we
propose that these monoterpenes are coevolved
signals and not just sex-specific cues exploited
by males. Their maintenance, despite lack of
female mate choice, may be explained by variation
in cost that females pay with this male behaviour
under heterogeneous ecological conditions.