[HELICONIUS] Progress on genome

Chris Jiggins c.jiggins at zoo.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 10:04:44 BST 2010

Hi Everyone (apologies for cross-posting)

This is just an update on progress on the genome.  For those of you
not at the recent meeting, we now have around 20x coverage of the H.
melpomene melpomene genome (6.7Gb), and are working to improve the
assembly. We had a call with Baylor last week and they have now
obtained the first sequence for the 8kb paired-end library.  A further
run from this library will be available in a few weeks.  A lane of
Illumina sequence for the same strain is also in the pipeline.  Thus,
we hope to have a new version of the genome assembly in about a month.

We also talked about the issue of publication.  There is a general
agreement among everyone I have spoken to that we need to 'save' the
juicy biological analyses that the genome sequence facilitates for the
main genome paper.  This would include things like RAD mapping of
novel wing patterning genes, genome-scale analysis of molecular
evolution, RAD population genomics, QTL RAD tag mapping of other
traits (these are just the projects that I know about).  This is not
to say that such analyses have to be fully included in the headline
genome paper, but rather that we would need to find a way to split up
the results so that nuggets can go into the genome paper while the
complete results are in a companion paper first authored by whoever
did the work.

The downside is that some may have to wait on publication of data
while the main paper gets sorted - but the onus is on all of us to
complete our contributions to the main paper and ensure that this isnt
an issue.  The upside is that, I think if we take this approach we can
be pretty confident of a high impact paper that we can all be proud of.

I am hoping that we can all agree to this now, to avoid any conflicts
of interest down the line.

If there is anyone out there who is currently not part of the
consortium, but  who would like to use the genome data then please let
me know.  We are open to anybody working on the data provided it
doesnt overlap with projects underway in the labs of those who have
contributed money!

All the best

Chris

Chris Jiggins