[HELICONIUS] heliconius.org & butterflybase

Alexie Papanicolaou apapanicolaou at ice.mpg.de
Wed Mar 8 17:28:58 GMT 2006

Hello hello... Am I the one to devirginise this email list? I hope I'm
worth it.

I'm taking requests on feature development for ButterflyBase. Also we
can start a discussion of whether we want to set up a dedicated
www.heliconius.org website server with all the helic info as well as lab
pages. One person from each lab will responsible for updating one bit of
the Heliconius wunderworld. It's good for funding applications... eh i
mean public image.

Here are some section suggestions
-Plain speak of our research (incl. any school level science facts
someone might have already generated).
-Ecological data (habitats, distribution, phylogenies).
-Morphological data of species, races, hybrids.
-Genomic data (i.e. Butterflybase).
-Genetic Data (inc. primer database, crossing results people have
accumulated (specimendb?) etc).
-others

I think the first point should be tackled as soon as possible. my humble
opionion is that it will be good for a genome application

As Owen has suggested elsewhere, it will be good idea to utilise WiKi
technology on this. we will see...

enjoy the snow/sand/jungle

Alexie Papanicolaou
http://www.halcyoni.org
'Scientists' from the Evangelical Center For Faith-Based Reasoning are
now asserting that the long-held 'theory of gravity' is flawed, and they
have responded to it with a new theory of Intelligent Falling.
"What the gravity-agenda scientists need to realize is that 'gravity
waves' and 'gravitons' are just secular words for 'God can do whatever
He wants.'"
-theonion.com