[HELICONIUS] Re: Symposia proposals' evaluation -- coordinating between symposia

Durrell D Kapan durrell at hawaii.edu
Thu Jul 20 21:09:07 BST 2006

Dear Drs Sbordoni & Landotti,

Thank you for considering our proposal for the "Mechanisms of Speciation Symposium" and high-lighting potential overlap between symposia based on shared speakers.

I have already discussed this issue with special reference to symposia numbers 6 & 7 with Dr. Mallet.  I will work with him & other conveners to decrease the overlap between speakers in these two symposia.

Several of the talks in our proposed "Mechanisms of speciation in butterflies" symposium will be presented by post-docs or PhD. students potentially freeing up PI's to speak in other symposia, I believe this trend will continue as PI's involve their students and post-docs in presenting and result in less overlap of people and subjects between symposia.

To date I have received confirmation from sufficient speakers for 6 talks (2 hours, see updated symposium proposal below).

I am looking forward to meeting you at BioButterfly2007 in Rome.

All the best,

Durrell

P.S. Be advised that there is a typo in the Symposium 7 description.  It should include myself as a convenor (e.g):.

"7.	    Title:	Mechanisms of speciation in butterflies
Convenors:	Durrell Kapan, Marcus Kronforst, Jesus Mavarez, Chris Jiggins
Potential speakers:	Kronforst M, Mavarez J, Jiggins C, Kapan D, Lukhtanov VA, Gompert Z and others"

***UPDATED SYMPOSIUM PROPOSAL "MECHANISMS OF SPECIATION IN BUTTERFLIES***

Symposia proposal: Mechanisms of speciation in butterflies

- Name(s) of the Symposium convenor(s),

Durrell D. Kapan, Marcus Kronforst, Chris Jiggins and Jesus Mavarez

- Title of the Symposium,

Mechanisms of speciation in butterflies

- Names of confirmed or highly interested invitees (*starred speakers are confirmed presenters),

“To be announced,” Zach Gompert (Texas State University), James Fordyce (University of Tennessee), Chris Nice (Texas State University).

“Niche divergence and speciation in Ithomiine butterflies,” Marianne Elias* (University of Edinburgh), Chris Jiggins (University of Edinburgh) and Keith Willmott

“The Genetics and Geography of Speciation in mimicry” Durrell Kapan* (University of Hawaii)

“To be announced,” Marcus Kronforst* (Rice University) & Larry Gilbert (University of Texas)

“Reinforcement of pre-zygotic isolation and karyotype  evolution in Agrodiaetus blue butterflies" Vladimir Lukhtanov (St Petersburg State University), Nikolai Kandul (Harvard University), Naomi Pierce (Harvard University)

“To be announced,” Jesus Mavarez* (Smithsonian Institution)

- Time span:

Time span 2 hours (could grow if interest in topic increases)

- A brief description (300 words) of the Symposium topic,

	Speciation research has seen resurgence since the mid-1990’s.  The rise of genomics coupled with more sophisticated models for sympatric and ecological speciation have led to a renewed ability to study the mechanisms and results of speciation at the ecological and genomic level including reinforcement, homoploid hybrid speciation and speciation due to mimicry.  Butterflies have long been a model system for studying many aspects of evolution and ecology.  As diurnal insects they are exceptional models for studying the linkage between signalling (by color, pheremones and behavior), mate attraction, sexual selection and speciation.  We propose a symposium that features investigations on the links between the diverse signalling systems, their phenotypic fitness consequences, genetics and their implications for speciation in butterflies.

- Complete contact information for the organizers.

Dr. Durrell D. Kapan
Center for Conservation and Research Training
Pacific Biosciences Research Center
University of Hawaii
Manoa, HI 96822
USA