[HELICONIUS] Fwd: updates to butterflygenome.org

Jim Mallet jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 20 16:21:29 BST 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	updates to butterflygenome.org
Date: 	Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:52:35 +0000
From: 	Robert D. Reed <robertreed at cornell.edu>
To: 	heliconius at ucl.ac.uk <heliconius at ucl.ac.uk>

Dear Heliconiologists,

This is just a quick note that we have recently made some major improvement to butterflygenome.org:

* Blast results have embedded links to the genome browser (this feature was added several months ago, in case you haven't logged in recently).

* We now have a proper query page for the genome browser(s). On this page you can enter scaffold coordinates or gene names to go to a specific location in a browser. You can also quickly fetch sequences for any interval you enter coordinates for.

* We now have a UCSC browser up and running (in addition to GBrowse). This is a major improvement because (1) down the road it will let us post and visualize large snp and short read data sets, and (2) now anyone can privately visualize their own data tracks on the browser (this is great for making figures by the way).

* We made some under-the-hood changes so it is now very fast and easy for us to post new datasets for blasting. If any of you have fasta files you want posted (transcriptomes, genomes, BACs, fosmids, etc.) you can send them to me and I should be able to get everything online fairly quickly.

* We fixed some problems with truncated scaffold sequences.

I'd like to thank to everyone who has given feedback and bug reports. Please let me know if you have any problems with the system, recommendations for improvement, or data you'd like me to post. The UCSC browser and query pages are brand new, so I would really appreciate any feedback on how well these are working.

Thanks,
Bob