[HELICONIUS] Butterfly genome reveals promiscuous exchange of mimicry adaptations among species - Nature.com

Jim Mallet jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu May 17 17:40:29 BST 2012

The Heliconius genome paper, with evidence for colour patterns being
exchanged among multiple species, is out at last!

See:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11041.html

been debated^1
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11041.html#ref1>
. Hybrids are usually rare and unfit, but even infrequent hybridization
can aid adaptation by transferring beneficial traits between species.
Here we use genomic tools to investigate introgression in/Heliconius/, a
rapidly radiating genus of neotropical butterflies widely used in
studies of ecology, behaviour, mimicry and speciation^2
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11041.html#ref2>,3
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11041.html#ref3>,4
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11041.html#ref4>,5
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11041.html#ref5>
. We sequenced the genome of/Heliconius melpomene/and compared it with
other taxa to investigate chromosomal evolution in Lepidoptera and gene
flow among multiple/Heliconius/species and races. Among 12,669 predicted
genes, biologically important expansions of families of chemosensory
and/Hox/genes are particularly noteworthy. Chromosomal organization has
remained broadly conserved since the Cretaceous period, when butterflies
split from the/Bombyx/(silkmoth) lineage. Using genomic resequencing, we
show hybrid exchange of genes between three co-mimics,/Heliconius
melpomene/,/Heliconius timareta/and/Heliconius elevatus/, especially at
two genomic regions that control mimicry pattern. We infer that closely
related/Heliconius/species exchange protective colour-pattern genes
promiscuously, implying that hybridization has an important role in
adaptive radiation.

A selection of press releases

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/May2012/12-516-butterfly-genome-reveals-promiscuous-past
http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/butterfly-genome-reveals-a-promiscuous-past/