[HELICONIUS] Making the archives of HELICONIUS public again

James Mallet j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 15:37:26 BST 2010

Dear All,

For several months, archives of messages on the HELICONIUS list have
been unavailable for searching, unless you happen to be on a
UCL-based computer. Many UCL mailinglists are for internal use, and
it was felt that a public archive was not desirable. The policy of
making all UCL mailinglist archives private by default was adopted.

I have asked that archives for the HELICONIUS list again be made
public, and have been told that this will be possible.

UCL has imposed some very reasonable conditions for making the list
archives public again:

1) That we specifically warn current members of the list that their
messages will be public and available to search engines internationally.

2) That I post a warning on the general information pages that the
archives are available to the public, and are available to search
engines internationally. The message that I am posting is:

WARNING: Please note that the HELICONIUS mailinglist is intended to
make information about these butterflies widely available; therefore,
the HELICONIUS archive is open to the PUBLIC. Your messages will be
made AVAILABLE TO SEARCH ENGINES (such as Google) from anywhere in
the world. If you wish to post a more private message to a group, you
are advised to adopt a more private means of communication.

Note, it remains the case that only list members may post messages on
the list, and lists of members are still available to members only,
as per previous policy.

I hope that this meets the approval of the list members.

Sincerely, Jim Mallet (List manager, UCL)