[HELICONIUS] Heliconius parasitoids

Catalina Estrada estradac at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 26 17:10:25 BST 2007

Hi everyone!

I am starting a project together with Ties Huigens and Nina Fatourus to
study exploitation of intraspecific signals by egg parasitoids in
Heliconius.   Nina and Ties have found that egg parasitoids of pierids
are attracted to antiaphrodisiac pheromones and hitch-hike mated females
to get their freshly laid eggs!.  Because we now have a better idea of
the chemical composition of this pheromone in several Heliconius,  we
think that if this exploitation also happen in this model system, it
will offers many possibilities to ask really interesting questions
concerning the evolution of this channel of sexual communication .

An important part of this project is having a good understanding of the
comunity of parasitoids attacking Heliconius and their impact on natural
populations. We have started collecting information available but
unfortunately there is not much published, particularly on
identification to species of those insects. Out goal is to compile the
data in a paper and a data base that help support our project but also
stimulate more research about this topic.    So... this is call for
information.   I would really appreciate if you contact me if you have
collected data (e.g. rates of parasitism) or accidentally come across
parasitoids in Heliconius, have specimens we can borrow, or can direct
me to find people or data bases with  information.  This is my current
e-mail address: estradac at mail.utexas.edu

Thank you!

I hope you are having a good time.

Catalina