[HELICONIUS] Yet another Kronforst paper!

James Mallet j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 21 00:20:50 GMT 2007

The Heliconius list has been quiet for a while
but I thought I would let you know about this
recent paper available online on FirstCite from Proc Roy Soc B:

Kronforst, M. R. and L. E. Gilbert. 2007. The
population genetics of mimetic diversity in
Heliconius butterflies. Proc. Roy. Soc. B, doi:10.1098/rspb.2007.1378

Abstract: Theory predicts strong stabilizing
selection on warning patterns within species and
convergent evolution among species in Müllerian
mimicry systems yet Heliconius butterflies
exhibit extreme wing pattern diversity. One
potential explanation for the evolution of this
diversity is that genetic drift occasionally
allows novel warning patterns to reach the
frequency threshold at which they gain
protection. This idea is controversial, however,
because Heliconius butterflies are unlikely to
experience pronounced population subdivision and
local genetic drift. To examine the fine-scale
population genetic structure of Heliconius
butterflies we genotyped 316 individuals from
eight Costa Rican Heliconius species with 1428
AFLP markers. Six species exhibited evidence of
population subdivision and/or isolation by
distance indicating genetic differentiation among
populations. Across species, variation in the
extent of local genetic drift correlated with the
roles different species have played in generating
pattern diversity: species that originally
generated the diversity of warning patterns
exhibited striking population subdivision while
species that later radiated onto these patterns
had intermediate levels of genetic diversity and
less genetic differentiation among populations.
These data reveal that Heliconius butterflies
possess the coarse population genetic structure
necessary for local populations to experience
pronounced genetic drift which, in turn, could
explain the origin of mimetic diversity.

James Mallet
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/taxome/jim/