[HELICONIUS] heliconius.org & butterflybase

W. Owen McMillan omcmillan at nescent.org
Fri Mar 10 19:04:39 GMT 2006

Hello all,

Chris is more or less correct.  I have not been working on Butterflybase,
per se, but on extending the Chado Schema, the schema that underlies
flybase, to include genotypic and phenotypic information.  The advantage is
that it will both allow us to organize our data and use established (and
quite powerful) tools.  For example, check out Comparative Map Viewer (CMap)
in the Gramene database (http://www.gramene.org/).  This is going well and
next week, I hope to begin importing data and testing how well we have done.

I am also thinking about designing some new tools that utilize the new data
elements that we have added. Some time ago, I wrote everybody asking for
suggestions about some to the types of queries that we might wish to make in
the future.  I haven't gotten much feedback, so if anybody gets a lighting
bolt of an idea, please send it this way.

Owen

On 3/10/06 12:49 PM, "Chris Jiggins" <chris.jiggins at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I basically agree with Alexie that heliconius.org should be turned into
> a mouthpiece for the 'Heliconius consortium' with information on all
> the labs and people involved.  I have been meaning to do this for a
> while - the format of the pages will change once I get round to it.
> However I would very much welcome any suggestions for layout (Owen
> already suggested that we model it on the Daphnia genome pages, which
> are very nicely organised http://daphnia.cgb.indiana.edu/).  Once the
> pages are set up we will want a small piece of text about each lab (or
> would people rather stick with a link to their own web pages?).  I
> would also be keen to take up Jim's offer to put together an overview
> page with links to pertinent literature in different subject areas - I
> think this would be very useful.
>
>   For the moment the site will stay at heliconius.cap.ed.ac.uk and I
> will leave it here in Edinburgh until I have figured out how we can
> best host it - either in Cambridge or on Jim's site.
>
> As for ButterflyBase development, Owen is supposed to have some people
> working on it in Duke.  Please send your suggestions and we can discuss
> what are the priorities for added features and improvements.
>
> chris
>

> On 9 Mar 2006, at 17:20, Jim Mallet wrote:
>
>> Dear Alexie and others,
>>
>> At 17:28 08/03/2006, you wrote:
>>> Hello hello... Am I the one to devirginise this email list? I hope I'm
>>> worth it.
>>
>> As the parent of the virginal HELICONIUS list, I like to protect my
>> child, and I believe that she dealt effectively with your advances!
>> Anyway, I think you will find that there were some incestuous messages
>> in her cavities before yours.
>>
>>> I'm taking requests on feature development for ButterflyBase. Also we
>>> can start a discussion of whether we want to set up a dedicated
>>> www.heliconius.org website server with all the helic info as well as
>>> lab
>>> pages. One person from each lab will responsible for updating one bit

***************************************
W. Owen McMillan
Associate Professor
Department of Biology