[HELICONIUS] Proposal for Heliconius and Ithomiinae symposium

Jim Mallet j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 30 15:24:03 BST 2006

Dear All,

I have put in for a symposium on Heliconius and Ithomiinae at the Biology
of Butterflies Rome conference in 2007 which I hope is in more or less
accordance with your expressed wishes.  There is a shortage of space at the
meeting, which is limited to 200 places total (I suggest pre-registering
early! Go to http://biobutterfly2007.uniroma2.it/ and do it now; it doesn't
cost anything yet).

We are limited to 3.5 hours, which means an absolute maximum of ten talks
at 20 mins each.  So please be aware that if your name is not on the list,
or you were amalgamated with another person, we had to make some tough
decisions.  On the other hand, the programme is very much not set in
concrete yet (even assuming our proposal is accepted), so do please let me
know if you want to make changes to what I have suggested.  Write also if
you want to add yourself to the list, and we will see what we can do!

There may be some people who will not be able to come for reasons of
expense or other problems, and then we can add people as necessary.  Also,
please see details of the speciation symposium which will possibly be
organised alongside this, and might allow some overflow from this symposium.

Below, please find proposal and covering email.

Sincerely, Jim

Proposal for symposium on neotropical butterflies for BioButterflies2007
Mimicry and Evolution of the Heliconiinae and Ithomiinae
Time allocation: 3.5 hours

Symposium Convenors

James Mallet
Professor of Biological Diversity, Galton Laboratory, Department of
Biology, University College London
tel: (+44) 20 7679 7412
fax: (+44) 20 7679 5052
email: j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk

Chris Jiggins
Royal Society University Research Fellow, Institute of Evolutionary
Biology, University of Edinburgh
tel: (+44) 131 650 8624
email: chris.jiggins at ed.ac.uk

W. Owen McMillan
Professor, Department of Zoology, North Carolina State University
email: womcmill at ncsu.edu

Outline

Neotropical butterflies in the subfamilies Heliconiinae and Ithomiinae were
the source of the original theories of mimicry by Bates and Müller in the
1860s-1870s.  Today, they have become a model system in studies of
biodiversity, coevolution, mimicry and speciation.  In the last 10 years,
modern molecular and interdisciplinary studies have led to an acceleration
of the pace of this work.  Key areas under intense study today are (1)
genomic approaches to the evolution and development of colour pattern, (2)
field studies of selection for mimicry, particularly in hybrid zones and
zones of polymorphism, and (3) hybridization and speciation.

The current symposium is proposed to provide a forum to pull together
recent work in these key areas.  By the time of the Biology of Butterflies
Cconference in 2007, we expect that substantial fractions of Heliconius
genomes will have been sequenced, including the likely identification of
one or more key genes involved in switching colour patterns.   In addition,
a startling claim for hybrid speciation has already been made for the
Colombian species Heliconius heurippa in the journal "Nature", and further
species are also suspected to have resulted from the same process known as
"homoploid hybrid speciation".  (In plants, many allopolyploid hybrid
species exist, but the process of homoploid hybrid speciation is thought to
be rare). These are among the best documented cases of hybrid speciation in
the animals.  Finally, recent extraordinarily laborious field studies in
the neotropics have led to a firm experimental basis for understanding of
the evolution of warning colour and mimicry.

The programme will pull together a diverse, international group of young
and older biologists.  The extremely high profile of this topic is
demonstrated by worldwide publicity for the recent Nature paper on hybrid
speciation in Heliconius will ensure that the forum will be of very broad
interest to other butterfly biologists.
Proposed speakers and talks

Ricardo Papa and W. Owen McMillan, North Carolina State University
An integrated genomic map of mimicry evolution in Heliconius erato

Chris Jiggins and others, University of Edinburgh
Molecular evolution and development of mimicry genes and speciation in the
melpomene group of Heliconius

Robert Reed, Duke University, North Carolina
The molecular basis of colour pattern development in Heliconius and other
nymphalids

Mathieu Joron, University of Leiden, Netherlands
Evolution of a Müllerian mimicry supergene in Heliconius numata

Gary Langham, University of California, Berkeley
Jacamars and selection for mimicry in Heliconius

Marcus Kronforst, Durrell Kapan and Lawrence E. Gilbert Jr., University of
Texas and University of Hawaii
Genetics of speciation in Heliconius butterflies

Mauricio Linares, Christan Salcedo and others, Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá
Hybridization and speciation in the Colombian Andes

Jesús Mavárez, STRI  Panama
Heliconius heurippa and further new examples of hybrid speciation and
interspecific gene flow in Heliconius

André Freitas, Universidade Estadual do Campinas, Brasil
Rapid speciation in Acraeini and Ithomiini

Kanchon Dasmahapatra and James Mallet, University College London
A test of refugium theory in the Heliconiina and Ithomiinae using gene
genalogies
Email cover note