[HELICONIUS] K.S. Brown and C. Jiggins on gene flow between spp

Jim Mallet j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk
Sun Jul 30 13:27:45 BST 2006

Hello everyone.  This was bounced from the Heliconius mailing list -- I am
not quite sure why.  As it contained rather a complex email conversation, I
have edited it to provide better clues for clarity and authorship.  Please
try to keep emails simple, and if necessary edit them for clarity yourself.
Email quotation marks often get garbled in ASCII records of the emails.

Jim M
_______________________________
Hi All,
I hope I am not filling your inbox with unwanted email, but I thought this
message from Keith Brown, which he suggested I forward to the list, might
be of interest - some history and biology of Brazilian species.  Also below
is my response to his comment on the gene flow papers.

Following up on Jim's posting about his interaction with Jerry Coyne
regarding our Heliconius heurippa paper, I recently had a brief chat with
Jerry about this at the speciation meeting in Vancouver.  He said that he
remains sceptical about the genetic data and in particular the gene
networks as being evidence for hybrid origin (we would agree that this is
the area where more data is needed), but the mating studies look sound.  So
his views are not as damning as they seemed earlier (or perhaps he was
being polite, but that maybe that is unlikely!).

Cheers
Chris Jiggins