[HELICONIUS] Homologous colour pattern genes in different mimetic Heliconius species

Jim Mallet j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Jul 1 11:55:42 BST 2006

Dear All,

A new paper by Kronforst et al.:

Kronforst,MR; Kapan,DD; Gilbert,LE (2006): Parallel genetic architecture
of parallel adaptive radiations in mimetic Heliconius butterflies.
Genetics in press.

http://www.genetics.org/cgi/content/abstract/genetics.106.059527v1

This is quite a coup by the Kronforst camp, because I believe that a
different paper had been submitted last year to a different journal, PLoS
Biology, about some of the same species and some of the same genes!  See:

Joron, M., Papa, R., Beltrán, M., Chamberlain, N., Mavárez, J., Baxter, S.,
Bermingham, E., Humphray, S.J., Rogers, J., Beasley, H., Barlow, K.,
ffrench-Constant, R.H., Mallet, J., McMillan, W.O., & Jiggins, C.D. (2006).
A conserved supergene locus controls colour pattern diversity in Heliconius
butterflies. PLoS Biology (in press).

Here is a first version pre-print; the paper should be updated soon:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/taxome/jim/pap/joronetal_06.pdf

Well done Marcus!

All the best, Jim

>Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:11:52 -0500
>Subject: hello
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>You may have seen this already but our Genetics paper is out.  The publish
>ahead
>of print at Genetics really expedites the process.  Thanks again for your
>positive review.
>
>http://www.genetics.org/cgi/content/abstract/genetics.106.059527v1
>
>Also, keep an eye open for the next issue of Evolution - my
>cydno/pachinus/melpomene gene flow paper is in it.  More evidence to support
>the idea that these species are exchanging genes.
>
>Take care,
>Marcus

James Mallet
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/taxome/jim/