[TABD] PhD and postdoc positions studying evolution in Heliconius at Montpellier, S. France - from Mathieu Joron

Mallet, James jmallet at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu May 23 02:23:03 BST 2019

From mathieu.joron at cefe.cnrs.fr  Wed May 22 11:44:21 2019
From: mathieu.joron at cefe.cnrs.fr (Mathieu Joron)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 12:44:21 +0200
Subject: [HELICONIUS] Two positions in Montpellier,
 France - Ecology and population genomics of supergenes in Heliconius

--Apologies for cross-posting--

Dear all

Two positions are open in my group in Montpellier, France, to work on
the ecology and evolutionary genomics of supergenes in Heliconius.

1- A 3-year PhD studentship on the ecology of inversions and balancing
selection
The project aims at deciphering the evolution of a complex of
chromosomal inversions forming a supergene in an Amazonian butterfly
(Heliconius numata). The PhD student will aim at deciphering the
selective factors (e.g. viability trade-offs, deleterious variations,
etc.) and the mating signals (visual, olfactory) contributing to the
maintenance of inversion polymorphism.
Full announcement : http://bit.ly/2JV8AyB
Deadline for applications 12/06/2019.

2- A 2-year postdoc position on the population genomics of supergenes
and inversions.
The project aims at improving our understanding of how inversions have
established and spread in populations and through the Amazonian range,
and how inversion polymorphism is associated with changes in the
connectivity and demography of populations, likely to affect ecological
and evolutionary trajectories of polymorphic populations.
Full announcement : http://bit.ly/2Jz565A
Deadline for applications 20/06/2019

Our group works primarily on the evolutionary genetics and ecology of a
balanced polymorphism in Heliconius and on related traits and processes.
We are located in Montpellier, one of the world's hotspots for
evolutionary biology and ecology, situated in the south of France. Those
positions are part of an ANR-funded project in collaboration with teams
at INRIA (bioinformatics, Rennes) and at the Natural History Museum
(Paris).

Please do circulate those ads around your labs and do not hesitate to
contact me for more details on the project or the application procedure.

Best

Mathieu Joron

--
Centre d'Ecologie Fonctionnelle et Evolutive (UMR 5175)
CNRS, 1919 route de Mende, 34293 Montpellier 5, France