[TABD] Please review our paper: Diversity dynamics in Nymphalidae butterflies

Carlos Pena mycalesis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:23:49 GMT 2013

Hi all,

We got infected by the "open peer-review" fashion so I posted our
unpublished manuscript for open-peer review on Peerage of Science.

The title is:
"Diversity dynamics in Nymphalidae butterflies: Effect of phylogenetic
uncertainty on diversification rate shift estimates"

You are welcome to review and provide comments/criticism.

The manuscript is available at: https://www.peerageofscience.org/?link=63485

Note that you will need to create an account. See the abstract below.

Thanks!

=================
Abstract:

The family Nymphalidae is the largest family within the true butterflies
and has been used to develop hypotheses explaining evolutionary
interactions between plants and insects. Theories of insect and
hostplant dynamics predict accelerated diversification in some
scenarios. We investigated whether phylogenetic uncertainty affects a
commonly used method (MEDUSA, modelling evolutionary diversity using
stepwise AIC) for estimating shifts in diversification rates in lineages
of the family Nymphalidae, by extending the method to run across a
random sample of phylogenetic trees from the posterior distribution of a
Bayesian run. We found that phylogenetic uncertainty greatly affects
diversification rate estimates. Different trees from the posterior
distribution can give diversification rates ranging from high values to
almost zero for the same clade, and for some clades both significant
rate increase and decrease were estimated.  Only three out of 13
significant shifts found on the maximum credibility tree were consistent
across more than 95% of the trees from the posterior: (i) accelerated
diversification for Solanaceae feeders in the tribe Ithomiini; (ii)
accelerated diversification in the genus Charaxes, and (iii)
deceleration in the Danaina. By using the binary speciation and
extinction model (BISSE), we found that a hostplant shift to Solanaceae
or a codistributed character is responsible for the increase in
diversification rate in Ithomiini, and the result is congruent with the
diffuse cospeciation hypothesis. A shift to Apocynaceae is not
responsible for the slowdown of diversification in Danaina. Our results
show that taking phylogenetic uncertainty into account when estimating
diversification rate shifts is of great importance, and relying on the
maximum credibility tree alone potentially can give erroneous results.

insect-hostplant dynamics

carlos

--
Dr. Carlos Peña
Laboratory of Genetics

* Associated Editor, Revista Peruana de Biología
http://revistasinvestigacion.unmsm.edu.pe/index.php/rpb
* The Nymphalidae Systematics Group
http://nymphalidae.utu.fi/db.php