[TABD] volunteer opportunity in Peru with termites

Blanca Huertas B.Huertas at nhm.ac.uk
Wed Nov 9 12:20:32 GMT 2011

Two volunteers required for fieldwork in Peruvian tropical rainforest

Application deadline 19 December 2011

 Project: The role of termites in ecosystem processes along an
Andes-Amazon altitudinal gradient, Peru.

 Opportunity: Two volunteer positions are available from
March/April-October/November 2012. Exact dates will be confirmed closer
to the time. It is preferred for the applicants to stay for the entire
seven month period. If you are unable to stay for this long, please,
state the maximum length of time that you'll be able to stay in your
application.

 Project: This is a PhD research project based at the University of
Oxford in collaboration with the Natural History Museum, London.
Volunteers will assist Cecilia Dahlsjo, who is the PhD student of this
project.

The PhD research investigates the role of termites in the ecosystem
processes of tropical rain forest of Peru. It is the first extensive
experiments on termite-mediated decomposition rates in the Neotropics
and is an important step in linking what we now about termite
biodiversity and the ecological roles of termites. Termite decomposition
rates of wood, leaf litter and soil will be estimated as well as the
time it takes for carbon to be taken up by termites and the different
termite feeding groups.

 Location: My fieldwork is based in the lowland Amazonas of south
eastern Peru. The team will be based at Explorer's Inn Eco Lodge
(http://www.explorersinn.com/) which is situated 60 km up the Tambopata
River from Puerto Maldonado. Our sites are situated within the Tambopata
National Reserve, one of the Earth's biodiversity hot spots. Wildlife
that we expect to see during our fieldwork in the reserve include
peccaries, agouties, monkeys, bush turkeys, ant eaters, capybaras, and
giant otters.

The work: I need a volunteer to help me with all aspects of the
fieldwork. Specific tasks would include setting up decomposition
experiments, collecting and processing material in the lab, making mesh
bags, and drying leaves, wood and soil.

Who should apply? I am looking for happy keen hardworking people who
will be able to spend an extended period in the field without good
communications and with reasonably Spartan living conditions. This is a
great opportunity to learn about rainforest ecosystems and see firsthand
how important termites and other decomposers are in this tropical rain
forest.

The applicant must be in good physical condition and capable of walking
up to 10 km carrying equipment on field working days, be able to carry
out repetitive work, and work independently and in a small team. All
participants will be expected to work five to six days a week. A good
attitude towards hard and challenging work and a good sense of humour
are an advantage as well as previous experience of working in the
tropics and ability to speak Spanish. General knowledge of how
generators work and other technical skills are a plus.

This is not a suitable position for people who are uncomfortable with
insects.

Volunteers are expected to pay for their own airfare and lodging at the
field site including additional expenses. If the project receives enough
funding accommodation and/or food costs may be covered.

 How to apply: Applicants should email a brief cover letter outlining
their interests, previous experience, and why they wish to work on this
project. A CV including contact details and two reference letters should
also be attached. Applications should be sent to Cecilia Dahlsjo,
cecilia.dahlsjo at ouce.ox.ac.uk <mailto:cecilia.dahlsjo at ouce.ox.ac.uk> ,
before the deadline on Monday 19 December 2011.

You will be contacted by email or telephone shortly after the deadline
letting you know whether you have been shortlisted or not. If selected,
you will be called for an interview in Oxford or London. If unable to
travel to either of these cities skype or phone interviews will be fine
too.

For Swedish applicants- I will be in Sweden from 21st December - 4th
January and will be available for interviews in Malmo during this time.

I am very much looking forward to hearing from you.

Cecilia

cecilia.dahlsjo at ouce.ox.ac.uk <mailto:cecilia.dahlsjo at ouce.ox.ac.uk>