[TABD] Mariposas neotropicales, pero pequenitos!

James Mallet j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 31 21:54:02 BST 2010

Es un escandalo:

La publicacion reciente de Phil DeVries et al. sobre el
comportamiento de vuelo, morfologia de mariposas, y ecologia es muy
interesante. Tambien, la revista Journal of Animal Ecology ha
utilisado la foto lindisima de DeVries et al. de especies de Morpho
como advertencia de la revista.

Pero el tamano es minISculo! Veanse! --
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jae.2010.79.issue-5/issuetoc

Jim

PS: Resumen de DeVries et al:

DeVries, P. J., C. M. Penz, and R. I. Hill. 2010. Vertical
distribution, flight behaviour and evolution of wing morphology in
Morpho butterflies. Journal of Animal Ecology 79:1077-1085.

Abstract:  1. Flight is a key innovation in the evolution of insects
that is crucial to their dispersal, migration, territoriality,
courtship and predator avoidance. Male butterflies have
characteristic territoriality and courtship flight behaviours, and
females use a characteristic flight behaviour when searching for host
plants. This implies that selection acts on wing morphology to
maximize flight performance for conducting important behaviours among sexes.

2. Butterflies in the genus Morpho are obvious components of
neotropical forests, and many observations indicate that they show
two broad categories of flight behaviour and flight height. Although
species can be categorized as using gliding or flapping flight, and
flying at either canopy or understorey height, the association of
flight behaviour and flight height with wing shape evolution has
never been explored.

3. Two clades within Morpho differ in flight behaviour and height.
Males and females of one cladeinhabit the forest understorey and use
flapping flight, whereas in the other clade, males use gliding flight
at canopy level and females use flapping flight in both canopy and understorey.

4. We used independent contrasts to answer whether wing shape is
associated with flight behaviour and height. Given a single switch to
canopy habitation and gliding flight, we compared contrasts for the
node at which the switch to canopy flight occurred with the
distribution of values in the two focal clades. We found significant
changes in wing shape at the transition to canopy flight only in
males, and no change in size for either sex. A second node within the
canopy clade suggests that other factors may also be involved in wing
shape evolution. Our results reinforce the hypothesis that natural
selection acts differently on male and female butterfly wing shape
and indicate that the transition to canopy flight cannot explain all
wing shape diversity in Morpho.

5. This study provides a starting point for characterizing evolution
of wing morphology in forest butterflies in the contexts of habitat
selection and flight behaviour. Further, these observations suggest
that exploring wing shape evolution for canopy and understorey
species in other insects may help understand the effects of habitat
destruction on biological diversity.