[TABD] news from London for Lepidopterists

Blanca Huertas B.Huertas at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Mar 31 16:59:02 BST 2009

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Michael Shaffer,
who died in his sleep during the early hours of 23 March. He had been
working in Wandsworth on the moth collections the week before: his death
was an unexpected and considerable shock to his many colleagues both
here and across the world.

Since his retirement as a curator from the Museum, Michael had been a
greatly valued Scientific Associate, coming to the Entomology Department
usually three days each week. During this time he continued to improve
the collections and act as their custodian. He was respected
internationally for his deep knowledge of the Pyraloidea, one of the
most species-rich groups of moths. His international colleagues marked
his retirement by dedicating a 200-page Festschrift to him.

After his retirement researchers and curators continued to seek his
advice, often on complex taxonomic questions. Michael leaves a
tremendous legacy of knowledge residing particularly in the arrangement
of the collections at this Museum, and from which future generations
will continue to benefit. Many other collections have been materially
improved by his curatorial input or through his advice. His publications
include the 710 page work on the Channel Island Lepidoptera that
appeared in print last year. He also illustrated a number of works with
skilled and detailed figures of moth morphology.

Many tributes to his life and achievements have been sent from far and
wide, a measure of the respect, esteem and affection in which Michael
was held.

Last year Michael celebrated 50 years of his association with the
Museum, coincident with the publication of his book. The event was
celebrated quietly with his colleagues at Wandsworth. He is survived by
his wife Monika, to whom we extend our deep condolences.

The funeral will take place on Thursday 16 April, 13.20, at the Putney
Vale crematorium.

Dr Malcolm Scoble

The Natural History Museum

Cromwell Road