[TABD] Zool. Soc of London: Biodiversity, Saving Non-vertebrates

James Mallet j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 19:27:40 GMT 2009

>From: "ZSL - Science & Conservation Events"
><ZSL.Scientific.Publications at cmp.ctt-news.org>
>Fwd by: "j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk" <j.mallet at ucl.ac.uk>
>Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:00:24 +0000
>Subject: ZSL SYMPOSIUM: The Foundations of
>Biodiversity: saving the world's non-vertebrates

Dear All,

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN:
Foundations of Biodiversity: saving the world's
non-vertebrates symposium - Thursday 25 and
Friday 26 February 2010, ZSL Meeting Rooms

While species coverage of vertebrates in the IUCN
Red List of Threatened Species has increased in
number each year, coverage of non-vertebrate
groups (the majority of the world’s biodiversity)
has been very poor. This is in contrast to the
role non-vertebrates play in the functioning of
our ecosystems, providing the foundations for the
existence of more charismatic megafauna and
humans. The importance of non-vertebrate
biodiversity and a first preliminary overview of
the conservation status of selected
non-vertebrate taxa will be given. Promoting
fungi, invertebrate, plant and ecosystem
conservation without the need to focus on
charismatic megafauna requires us to build more
capacity in the field and raise the profile of non-vertebrate biodiversity.

This symposium has been organised by Jonathan
Baillie (ZSL), Michael Samways (Stellenbosch
University), Monika Böhm (ZSL) and Ben Collen
(ZSL). Full information including a programme for
this 2-day event is available here:
http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/whats-on/symposium-foundations-of-biodiversity,359,EV.html
http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/whats-on/

Call for Posters The organisers invite interested
parties to submit abstracts for posters with
research relating to the symposium topic.
Abstracts of no more than 250 words can be
emailed or posted (please see
www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/whats-on/symposium-foundations-of-biodiversity,359,EV.html
for the form as a word document) to Joy Hayward
(details below) by 28 January 2010 for
consideration by the coordinators. Accepted
poster presenters will be notified by 1 February 2010.

All tickets for attendance must be purchased in
advance; please complete and return all
registration forms to Joy Hayward (details below) along with payment.

Please help spread the word: circulate
information on this event to your colleagues,
contacts, lab members and anyone you think might be interested.

Hope this is of interest to you and please feel
free to get in touch with me if you have any
queries on any of ZSL's Science and Conservation events.

With thanks & kind regards,
Joy

Full information on symposium programme,
including registration form and prices can be found here.

Joy Hayward
Scientific Meetings Co-ordinator, ZSL, London NW1 4RY, UK.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7449 6227. Fax: +44 (0)20 7449 6411.
E-mail: joy.hayward at zsl.org. Web: www.zsl.org/science/scientific-meetings

________________________________

James Mallet
UCL