[TABD] oportunidades de trabajo en mariposas

Blanca Huertas B.Huertas at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 13:27:52 GMT 2008

Amigos de la red,

He recibido esta oportunidad -abajo- y la envio para quienes de ustedes pueda interesar.

Por favor contestar a la persona del mensaje, no a este email, gracias.

Aprovecho la oportunidad para enviarles un grato saludo en estas festividades y desearles a todos ustedes lo mejor en el 2009!

Feliz Navidad y Prospero 2009.!

Blanca

****************************

Blanca Huertas MSc DIC

Curator (Lepidoptera)

Entomology Department

The Natural History Museum

75 Kimber Road, Wandsworth

SW18 4NX, London, UK.

Tel.  +44 (0) 20 7942 6215

Fax. +44 (0) 20 8871 4940

Museum website www.nhm.ac.uk <http://www.nhm.ac.uk/>

TABDProject www.andeanbutterflies.org <http://www.andeanbutterflies.org/>

Job offer for a postdoc at the Universite
catholique de Louvain (UCL), Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium:

"Behavioural ecology of butterfly movements: a matter of perception?"

We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher who
could join us for a period of 12 months starting
in Jan-Mar 2009 (exact starting date is
negotiable). We aim to develop new and
stimulating behavioural research on the
significance of perceptual range within a context
of insect dispersal in fragmented landscapes.
Butterflies are used as model system for a series
of experiments in the lab and in the field.
Earlier work on speckled woods (Pararge aegeria
L.) has suggested intriguing differences in the
response distance to target habitat in
individuals from continuous forest and
individuals from fragmented agricultural
landscape (Merckx & Van Dyck 2007. Anim. Behav.
74: 1029-1037). We want to better understand the
nature of environmental cues butterflies respond
to during traveling across the landscape matrix.
Therefore we want to develop a challenging
evolutionary ecological research program with a
strong emphasis on perceptual differences
relative to landscape type. We will also explore
some eco-physiological aspects. Another postdoc
will also join our team to work in this field, so
it will be a collaborative project. There will be
frequent interactions with the lab-members of
other lines of research. You will earn a postdoc
grant from our University (UCL).

Candidates should have excellent CV (i.e.,
several publications in outstanding behavioural,
ecological, conservation or evolutionary
journals, experience with observational and
experimental behavioural research). Only
researchers who have been outside Belgium for at
least the last two years can apply for this position.

You will work within a cluster of two young
research teams at the Biodiversity Research
Centre of the Université catholique de Louvain
(UCL) in Belgium. The Behavioural Ecology and
Conservation Group headed by Hans Van Dyck
(www.ecol.ucl.ac.be/ecco/en) and the Quantitative
Conservation Biology Group headed by Nicolas
Schtickzelle (www.uclouvain.be/quant-cons-biol).
Van Dyck's lab addresses several issues within
the broad field of evolution in anthropogenic
landscapes (combining behavioural ecology, life
history biology, thermal ecology, landscape
ecology and conservation). Schtickzelle's lab
addresses conservation issues using quantitative
approaches like population viability analysis.
Both labs have a common and complementary
interest in the process of dispersal and in
resource-based habitat approaches. Our university
is in the French-speaking part of Belgium
(Louvain-la-Neuve, close to Brussels). Lab
meetings and other scientific meetings are in
English, some knowledge of French would be easy.

If you are interested, please send an e-mail
message in which you explain why you would like
to join us and attach your CV (including a full
publication list and a reference person) as a separate document.

Please submit your file no later than December, 25th 2008.

Prof. Hans Van Dyck, Behavioural Ecology &
Conservation Group (hans.vandyck en uclouvain.be)
Prof. Nicolas Schtickzelle, Quantitative
Conservation Biology Group (nicolas.schtickzelle en uclouvain.be)

Prof. Nicolas Schtickzelle
Research Associate (FNRS) & Lecturer

Quantitative Conservation Biology
Biodiversity Research Centre