[TABD] TABD Digest, Vol 10, Issue 4

Manuel Berrio mmamuthm at yahoo.com.mx
Thu Feb 8 03:04:27 GMT 2007

Hola:

Hasta el momento no me habia atrevido a escribir por no haber participado en el curso de este año, espero estar en el proximo.

Me he a ariesgado a escribirles para contarles del proximo encuentro de lepidopterologia neotropical que se realizara en el instituto smithsoniano en Panama. Pueden visitar la página web: http://striweb.si.edu/iielen/, algunos de ustedes ya sabrían, sin embargo, creo que no sobra recordarlo.

Al parecer la publicidad no ha sido nuy buena y podrian reprogramar el evento y aumentar el apoyo para los asistentes, espero que sea de su interes.

Manuel Berrio
A continuación reproduzco la comunicación original que recibi.

Conference on Neotropical Lepidoptera - 2nd notice

II ELEN:
Conference on Neotropical Lepidoptera
Encontro sobre Lepidoptera Neotropicais
Encuentro sobre Lepidoptera Neotropical

Dear Lepidopterists,

It has been some time since the first II ELEN notice.  The response to that first notice was close to zero.  We surmise that the silence was due to a combination of THREE things,

1) the lack of further communication from our part (mainly my lack of experience and common sense regarding organizing a meeting, plus personal difficulties beyond my control);

2) the lack of funding to support participants, especially students;

3) the fact that the website was not fully in place then.

Since then, a handful of responses have trickled in.  Among those, the bright spot was Helena Romanowski, who single-handedly assembled a preliminary outline of speakers.  However, few of those potential speakers communicated directly with us and nobody has registered for the meeting.  Recently, Astrid Caldas has been trying to gather speakers and responses, with mixed results.

Now that the appointed hour is approaching we must make the decision whether to hold this meeting in April/May as originally planned, or to delay it until October to give you more time to respond, and in turn to give us more time to seek funding, and as well because that would be a better time for many potential participants.  But we need to hear from you.  Obtaining funding is one of those which came first, the chicken or the egg, situations.  Yes, it's difficult for you to decide whether to commit to participation if you don't know about funding.  But, it's nearly impossible for us to obtain the funding to bring people here if we don't know how many of you there will be.

The website is up, in all three languages at http://striweb.si.edu/iielen.  Please let us know as soon as possible whether:

1) Yes, I plan to attend II ELEN, with or without financial support. 2) Yes, I would like to attend, but need help with funding. 3) I can attend only if the conference is held in April/May. 4) I can attend only if it is held in October. 5) Yes, I can attend either time. 6) No, I will not attend no matter what or when.

The good news is that we have been granted funding for simultaneous trilingual translation for the conference.  Also, Copa Airlines can provide us with special rates.  But, how good those rates will be depends upon how many people will be flying with them.  So, let us know what airline you will use.

As Astrid put it, "We cannot promise anything, but if you do come you will greatly increase our chances of getting funding; and if we get funding, you will get some help."  So please spread the word, and let us know as soon as possible what your situation is.
So far, these are our Symposia:
"It's a whole New World: recent reviews in systematics"
"Diverse views on Biodiversity"
"Occurrence and distribution of Butterflies in south Brasil"
"Microlepidoptera richness in agricultural and natural systems"

And, so far, those who say they will participate are:
Felipe Amorim
Andrés Angulo
Alejandro Barro
Gabriela Bentancur
Jorge Bizarro
Patrick Blandin
John Brown
Astrid Caldas
Amabilio Camargo
Catherine Cassildé
Nicola Chamberlain
Richard ffrench-Constant
Marcelo Duarte
Giovanny Fagua
André Victor Lucci Freitas
Winnie Hallwachs
Dan Janzen
Chris Jiggins
Manuel Balcázar Lara
Ana Paula da Silva Loffredo
Armando Luis Martínez
Mirian Medina Hay-Roe
Ana Beatriz Morais
Yumi Oki
Helena Onody
Carmen Pozo
Colin Prince
Bob Robbins
Lazaro Roque
Christian Salcedo
Rosina Seguí
Marysol Trujano
Anayani Valderrama
Rosemary Vieira
Roger Vila
Angel Viloria
Andrew Warren
Keith Willmott
Adriana Zapata
Manuela Zimmermann

Sincerely yours,
  Annette Aiello

Mail from/to USA
  Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
  Attn: Dr. Annette Aiello
  Unit 0948
  APO AA 34002-0948

Mail from/to other countries
  Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
  Attn: Dr. Annette Aiello
   Apartado 0843-03092 Balboa, Ancon
 Panamá, Rep. de Panamá

E-mail: elen at si.edu
Fax: 011 (507) 212-8148
Phone (satellite link from US): (202) 786-2099, ext 8022
Phone (international): 011 (507) 212-8022